Wednesday, September 9, 2009

competition

This topic is oddly appropriate. A number of circumstances have led to the beginning of this semester being busier than any one in memory, with perhaps the exception being the semester I had my son. What competes for my time and energy? Trainees, Clients, Students, Prep time, Consultation, Husband Time, Baby Time, Housework, Laundry, Friend time...I think it's easy to get caught in feeling as though nothing is done to the fullest extend and everything is left lacking. In some ways, I often feel like the hubbub of those expectations is the background noise to whatever I am doing at the moment. Like attempting to read a textbook while there is a party happening in the room. Being the personality style that I am, I manage these responsibilities by trying to keep each discrete in their timeframe. I don't do class or client work when my son is awake. I do friend time only when I have put energy into my marriage. I try to remember that sometimes good enough is good enough despite my wishes for perfection. When I don't do that well, my stress from one bleeds into another and I find myself distracted in the present moment. While listening to trainees, I'm thinking about class material or worrying about grading.

1 comment:

  1. Wow you have a lot of responsiblity. It must be hard to manage it all!

    ReplyDelete